Friday, February 12, 2010

sew & tell - more quilting bee blocks and some curved piecing

I'm embarrassed to admit that these blocks are from November, I think (so maybe it was October, I'm not telling).  They are for Allyn, and I took advantage of our friendship in real life, because I knew she'd forgive me for taking so long.  I have to admit, I was totally intimidated!  Which is part of why I kept putting it off. (Procrastinate much?)  But once I got going, things went pretty smoothly.

She sent out all the little pieces already cut out, with a link to these instructions for a Grandmother's Fan block, all we had to do was sew them together.

Sewing the little strips wasn't too bad, especially since I decided to try out some chain-stitching (or is it chain piecing?).  But working those curved seams required lots of pins and some stretching and giving.

I chain-stitched while I pieced all four of these blocks.  I'd had people suggest it to me before, but I didn't realize just how handy it was.  It saves time and thread since you just feed the next section to be sewn right after you finish one, without having to clip a thread!
Plus, working assembly line style keeps the work flow more efficient.  These are all chained together.
See?
And here is all of them completed!  This is going to be one amazing quilt.  I hope she shares it on Sew & Tell when she's finished!
Two more bits of exciting news:
1.  My mom's New York Beauty is bordered and almost ready to quilt!  She was totally motivated by all of your nice comments!  We all get to see it soon!
2.  I have a REALLY fun giveaway planned for Monday.  So please, check back in!  You won't want to miss it!

What have you been doing this week?  Did you have a lot of sewing time due to a few winter storms?  We did!
Show us what you've got!

What did you finish this week?
(Following the rules will ensure a good time for all! I have had to delete posts in the past, don't make me do it, please!)
1. Link to your specific post about a sewing related finish you had THIS week.  (email me if you have questions about that.)
2. Please mention us here and link back to this post so everyone can join in.  (You can mention Sew & Tell in your post and have the button on your sidebar or blog, that works too. )
3. Pat each other on the backs in the comments!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment