Friday, February 19, 2010

sew & tell - assembly line production

Please make sure you read the guidelines before linking up at the end of the post!

I have definitely decided that assembly line production is the best way to work if you are making more than one of the same thing.  I have been working on 3 bags for a couple weeks.  I think the cutting and prepping the interfacing takes the longest.  After chain-piecing my quilt blocks last week, I decided I would do that as I stitched together these bags.
3 straps ready to go, and three innards ready to be sewn up!
So I did all the sewing up the point where I couldn't do anything next until the ironing.  Then I spent some time ironing and then the next step, etc. etc.   I had to slow down and change thread for each bag when it came time to do some topstitching, but all in all, it seems to go a lot quicker.  Plus, it makes it easier to sit down and work for shorter amounts of time and not be constantly getting up and down all the time.  And I don't have to worry about my iron cooling off (with it's auto shut-off feature) because I'm using it the whole time it's plugged in.

I'll admit, I rushed this morning to get one finished to post today.  But I'm going to finish the other two assembly style.

I used a little brown and turquoise polka dot ribbon for the key hook leash and topstitched in a dark turquoise.  This is Laura Gunn's Lantern Bloom line.  I think I linked to her new Poppy line last week.  This fabric is amazing!  And so photogenic.

I love the way it turned out!  This is for one of my dearest friends who is having another baby this month.  She is one of 20 or so people that I know who are having babies!  It's insane. 2010, the year of the Baby.


What did you finish this week?
(Following the guidelines for linking will ensure a good time for all! I have had to delete posts in the past, don't make me do it, please!)
1. Link to your specific post about a sewing related finish you had THIS week.  (email me if you have questions about that.)
2. Please mention us here and link back to this post so everyone can join in.  (You can mention Sew & Tell in your post and have the button on your sidebar or blog, that works too. )
3. Pat each other on the backs in the comments!


PS - The linky will close at midnight Pacific time - hurry and get your finishes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment