Monday, January 18, 2010

vacation, all i ever wanted!

Edited to add:  Here is the listing for my bag if you are interested in helping Craft Hope's Haiti efforts.  Please note that the earliest I will be able to ship is Jan. 27.  Thanks!!

I've been feeling a little wordy lately - can you tell?  I hope my longer posts aren't boring you - I just have felt like telling some stories lately.

I lived here in Utah for about 10 years as I went to school and then worked.  So it's a little like coming home, to my second home.  I have lots of friends to catch up with and lots of food to eat!  (Cafe Rio, Haggerman's Deli, See's candy. . . it's a good thing I'm pregnant!)

I spent 18 months as a missionary in Belgium and France.  It was on many levels a life-changing experience. Not to diminish the spiritual and personal growth that went on there - my appreciation for good food was definitely sparked!

Yesterday I met up with a friend with whom I served and we went to this awesome place!


Run by a Belge who makes authentic Gaufres de Liege - or Belgian Waffles!  I haven't had one in years, and they are still SO tasty.  I mean, just look at them!


I had to put down my fork and take a picture of them before they were devoured by me and my two kids.  It's hard to describe them, but they are made with a dense yeasty dough with sugar pearls in it.  So they are heavier than what you might be thinking and the sugar pearls melt and almost glaze the waffle.  I like them straight up - my friend got strawberries and creme fraiche - yum!!

The fries are great too - but I didn't take a picture and I'm too tired to explain why they are so good.  It has something to do with the fact that they are fried twice. Once for prep and the second time when you order.  And the sauces.... oh..... trust me.

*****
My brother and his wife were missionaries in Haiti about 20 years ago.  They have seen first hand the way people live there and love that country and the people will all their hearts.  I feel connected through them and I'm so happy to have found a tangible way to help.

As you have probably seen, Craft Hope has opened an Etsy Shop with the proceeds going to benefit the Doctors without Borders effort in Haiti.  I donated this bag (I'm not sure it's listed yet) and hope that someone buys it not just because they like it, but so they can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment