Thursday, November 19, 2009

what I did when I should have been folding laundry and/or sewing

I made a magnetic memo board!

I have a knack for starting/finishing less important projects when I have deadlines for other things.  I'm starting to feel like this blog is turning into a forum for procrastinator's anonymous.  Seriously!  Anyway, I've had this picture frame I got at Goodwill for a while.  I painted it while I had my can of blue paint out for another project last spring. ( I have A LOT of things this color - it's amazing how many things you can paint with a quart of paint!)

I went to the local hardware store and asked someone to help me find some sheet metal.  I guess that's what you call it.  I told them what I was doing.  I found a piece that was just a couple inches bigger than my frame.  So I needed something to cut it with.  My trusty father-in-law, aka purveyor of all tools, had some, um . . . scissors?  They're HUGE!

I'm not sure if these are tin snips or what.  And yes, that is a normal sized sharpie.

I wiped the metal down with some clorox wipes so that my hands won't turn black everytime I touch it.  If it keeps doing that I might take it out and seal it with some clear spray paint or something. (I've also thought about covering it in fabric....)

I took the sharpie and a ruler and marked off the sides to be cut.

And then I tried to cut it.  I don't have pictures, because I was by myself watching The Biggest Loser during my kids nap (By the way, The Biggest Loser + Pregnancy Hormones = tears.  Just in case you were wondering.).  But cutting that was a little tricky.  You have to be careful to start in a very straight line or the unpliable metal will steer you at an angle.  Does that even make sense?  I bet if you try it with these kind of scissors it will!

After I got it sized up, I put it in the frame, backed it with the same size of cardboard and stepped back to admire it.



I really like it!  I'd like to hang it in the kitchen for our calendar and menu and shopping list and stuff, but I've got to work with it, since I don't have free wall space anywhere.  I'll figure something out.

The best part!  Frame $3 + metal $18 = $21!  Way cheaper than buying one somewhere.

I'm working on those bags - hopefully I have one to share in the morning for Sew & Tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment