Monday, March 29, 2010

sunshine in a jar

I'm finding the problem with being 8 months pregnant is that I want to eat a lot, but I don't want to cook very much! Or go to the grocery store.

But I did get into a cooking mood the other day.  My friend Deisha (for whom I helped make this bag and who helped me do some awesome freezer meals) brought some lemon curd over the other night to have on crepes!  yum!!

I've never made it before and it was so easy!  Really, it's like sunshine in a jar.  And you can even use bottled lemon juice!  She did and I never would have known.
 
And then I was helping out with a baby shower today and made these fun little tartelettes.
I love this cookbook.  She has a series of French cookbooks and I would love to own them all.  I have to admit though - I use this book mostly for the Pâte Sablée and Crème Pâtissière recipes.  It's like a sugar cookie crust with a vanilla custard.  You pair them up and top with fresh fruit!  delish - and very pretty!  But I digress.

For these little tartelettes, I made the crusts (Pâte Sablée) in my mini muffin pan and then filled with lemon curd and topped with half a blackberry.  Mmmmmmmm.

So, do you want the recipe?  Deisha said I could share it!  If it's rainy and still too cold at your house, this will certainly improve your mood.

Lemon Curd
3 large eggs
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
6 T unsalted butter (chilled from the fridge)
Zest of 1 lemon (yes, I zested as much off of 1 lemon as I could)
  • In a separate bowl whisk the eggs until combined.
  • All other ingredients put in a sauce pan, over medium to low heat.
  • Stir mixture until the butter has melted.
  • Once butter has melted remove from heat. 
  • Pour this mixture slowly into the eggs, while whisking, to temper them. 
  • Then return the combined mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes, constantly stirring with a whisk. 
  • As soon as the sauce begins to thicken, it is done. 
  • Cool completely, put a piece of plastic wrap directly on the top of the lemon curd to avoid it developing a "skin" on the top.  (I poured mine into those two pint jars and covered with plastic wrap and the lids.)
 (Because the cookbook is still available I don't feel right about sharing the other recipes - I'm sure you could do a quick google search and find something similar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment