Monday, August 11, 2008

A Baby Gift


My friend is due to have her baby any minute now and I wanted her to be prepared for breastfeeding. On the left is a nursing cover (like the other ones I made). And on the right, the best burp cloths EVER. Not the best because of the little bit of embellishment I did, but because of the super absorbency of the Gerber 3 ply cloth diaper. When you have excessive spitters like I do, you need a gazillion of these things. Or maybe just one for every day of the week so you can have a clean one on hand without doing laundry every other day.

Someone made me some of the cloths for my first. Her's were super-fancy because she had an embroidery machine and put on some cute Suzy's Zoo characters. However, the embroidery decreased the surface area of absorbent material. So I started making these with just some ribbon and rick rack. This time around I used hem tape to fuse the ribbon to the diaper before I top-stitched it down. This made handling the ribbon much easier. You can get these diapers in a 12 pack - but be sure you get the 3 ply ones, they are the thickest. Pick out matching rick rack and ribbon and you are set. I've found that woven ribbons wash better than ones where the design is printed on. And satin ribbon is harder to sew on, the grosgrain types handle a little easier.

Not much of a tutorial, but it's pretty much a no-brainer. I've seen these made a million different ways, this is just the way I do it.


1 comment:

  1. Amy you are so nifty and crafty. It makes me wish I enjoyed sewing!

    ReplyDelete