Thursday, September 10, 2009

a little bag story + sew-n-tell v. 1.0.2

I was worried about having a finish for this week - but then I remembered I FINALLY finished a new bag for myself over the weekend!  I started using it immediately, so I forgot it was so new.

A little background...
Meet my first bag:
 
I love this fabric!  And this bag! It's the fabric that made me stand up and take notice that there was more to the fabric world that what you can buy at a local chain store.  I designed this bag to use as my diaper bag after my son was born.   He is now almost 20 months old and this bag has been through the ringer.
See bag now:
So so sad, and faded, and getting holes and dirty, with no key hook (because I took mine off to put in someone else's bag...)  Plus, I have learned many things and made many improvements in the construction of the 20+ bags I've made since then.

Soooooo, I finally made myself a new bag!!  This is also one of the fabrics that I fell in love with when my eyes were opened to the fabric world - Chez Moi, their original design.  It's out of print and I never bought any.  Lucky for me, my local quilt shop found a few bolts and I was able to snatch up some yardage a couple of months ago!
My bag, v.2.0:
 
I really do love this Jacobean Paisley design and all it's variations out there (part of the reason I named my etsy shop, paisley garden. Side note:  my shop isn't really stocked right now, I'm planning something big though!  Well, big for me.).
I love a contrasting top stitch - and I'm really into green lately.  (Shocker, I know - a slight diversion from my turquoise/aqua obsession).

I love the pockets and key hook inside.  The pockets handily fit a wipe container and some diapers and the second pocket catches all that other stuff - chapstick, lip gloss, mints, gum, little notebook, pen, snacks for the kids, etc.  This time I did the key hook strap out of grosgrain ribbon.  I folded it in half lengthwise and topstitched it down.  I like that it stands out so I can easily find it.
I love how lightweight it is, and  yet roomy so that I can stuff in it whatever random stuff my kids keep dropping on the floor at Costco.  So maybe this bag holds diapers, but it doesn't have to - it's just my favorite bag!

I promise, I hope to have something more than bags and pillows to blog about in the near future!

Sew-N-Tell has been fun the last couple of weeks!  I hope everyone had a productive week and we have fun things to share!  Please read and follow the guidelines below.  Can't wait to see what you've been up to!  Please spread the word - the more the merrier!!

If you want to participate in Sew-N-Tell today here are the rules:
1. Link to a post about a finish you had this week (don't just link to your blog, please!)
2. Link back to this post so more peeps can join in the fun!
3. Enjoy getting motivated and patting each other on the backs in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment