Friday, November 19, 2010

sew & tell - the link up + the ball gown

If you haven't seen the post e. from pinksuedeshoe wrote, amylouwho goes to the ball, you HAVE to RIGHT NOW!  It's awesome.  There is a reason I love her.  It's like she was a fly on the wall watching everything! And she made me laugh out loud this morning reading it!

As I'm writing this, I feel compelled to match her hilarity.  There's a lot of pressure following such an awesome post!  I'm sure her illustrations are better too.  I didn't get a picture of me sewing, but I'm pretty sure that was the expression on my face!  Especially after I had taken the hook and eye off 2 times before I got it right.

Her rendition of the story was pretty accurate - calendar and everything.  Although, I must dispel the myth of magic brushes. 

My awesome neighbor and friend Sara worked her magic on my hair.
the back

And I just put makeup ON - that's my secret.  Never wear it,
before


then when you do, everyone will be in such AWE!
super serious face
I'm really pleased with how the ruffle turned out! (love my super serious face?)

So much went into making this dress.  I did a muslin first to try out the addition of the ruffle and check the fit.  Then everyone got sick and I got behind several days, which was why I didn't finish it until yesterday!  I was up until 2 AM the night before working on it too.

USMC 2010 Birthday Ball Gown
I'll spare you all the nitty gritty details, but I learned a ton!
  • I did put in an invisible zipper for the first time without the special foot (because the one I bought doesn't work on my machine).  
  • I also put in a separating zipper for the first time (easier than regular zipper, imo) which took several goose chase runs to find a dress weight 18" separating zipper, only to end up with a 16" one.  Which is why I had to figure out the placement of the hook and eye several times.  
  • The dress was fully lined, though I aborted lining the sleeves because I didn't think it would matter + I just didn't have time.  
  • I figured out that I really enjoy making clothing.  I would like it better without the rush at the end.  I forget how many dresses that I actually made for myself when I was younger.  It's like riding a bike.  I will say, I think it's easier making clothing for others because 1) it's easier to fit patterns to OTHER people and 2) you aren't as critical of other people when it's all said and done.
All in all, I am happy with how it turned out.  There are a few things I would do differently the next time around.  It was tricky working through the pattern because I put sleeves from one view onto the view which was a sleeveless top AND the lining on the faux wrap was trick-EE.  I also ended up not really tacking the lining down, but I think I'm eventually going to replace the zipper, so that's two less things to take out when I do.

Even though he told me not to, I'm posting this picture of him (Shhhh, don't tell!).  I love his new uniform! It's an upgrade since his promotion last month.
Do you want to read more about what a Marine Corps Birthday Ball is all about?  I wrote a post about it last year.

There is a slight change to the linking rules about your own tutorials - please read!
What did you finish this week?

NEW RULES FOR LINKING UP!  Please read carefully.  The delete monster will be eating non-compliant links.
1. Please write the post for sew & tell - or add a blurb mentioning sew & tell to a post written earlier in the week.  If you are linking to a post with your own tutorial, please make sure it was a finish from this week and that the completed project is shown first.
2. One linky per person. (please put multiple projects in one post.)
3. Link to your specific post.  (See here for permalink instructions - or email me.)
4. Link back here with a link or a button.
5. Comment away!


No comments:

Post a Comment