Friday, April 2, 2010

sew & tell - a baby blanket

If you are here from V. & Co., Welcome!  If you are new or need a refresher for Sew & Tell guidelines you can click on the tab above for details on linking up!

I have been working on lots of things this week.  Like my baby's quilt and my bird quilt from the last post.  I don't have anything huge to sew & tell this week, but I did make this darling baby blanket for a friend.  One of the 20 that I know who are having babies in the next 6 months!


I thought these little doggies were so cute.  And real minky can't be beat.  I got out my serger the other  day and I love how it just zooms across anything and makes it so nice and neat and fuzz/ravel free!  It was especially nice since I had just battled with my other machine breaking a couple of needles trying to quilt that bird quilt.  Grrrrrr.  I'm still mad at miss Bernina over it.

The blanket is approximately 30" x 30".  I can get two backs out of one yard of minky this way.  I just serge it up, right sides together - leaving an opening to turn.  Once it's turned I top-stitch it closed.  I like to do a double top stitch, it lends some weight to the hem, and I like to think it looks better.

I've found that using a walking foot for the top-stitching is great.  But minky is a little stretchy so you have to pin a LOT to keep everything square.  This one may not be the best example of that, but don't tell anyone.

I got some more fabric yesterday (will post soon) and have a couple dresses, bags, and the two quilts to keep me busy this weekend.  Hopefully I'll have more progress reports on the quilt and some finished stuff for next Friday.

Can't wait to see what you've been doing this week!

Your turn!

Please refer to the sew & tell page if you have any questions or wonder why your link may have been deleted.
1. Link to your specific post about a sewing related finish you had THIS week.
2. Please mention sew & tell in  your post and link back to this post (link or button) so everyone can join in.
3. Pat each other on the backs in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment