Sunday, December 21, 2008

looking for a last-minute neighbor gift?

When I was living with my parents after college my mom and I used to bake up a storm at Christmas. We'd make 5 or so different kinds of cookies and treats and deliver them to the neighbors. It was always so much fun! I loved my mom's kitchenaid and her big kitchen with counter space galore for the whole process.

Fast forward 5 *cough cough* or so years later and I don't have the space, time, or the energy. But I still wanted to do something edible (read: non-cluttery) and tasty. So I had a brainstorm of an idea! And without patting myself TOO hard on the back, I must say - I think it's a pretty good one. So good that I wanted to share.

a little backstory:
We love having a nice hot breakfast on the weekends when we have the luxury of a lazy morning. And we've been scarfing down some delicious whole wheat pancakes from a recipe my sister-in-law Christine gave me. To give the recipe credit, it started out as an imitation of some IHOP pancakes, but I think it's been varied enough to have become it's own entity.

I don't normally like pancakes, especially those of the gummy, dense, blah variety. But these are nutty and fluffy and soak up copious amounts of syrup (I'm a convert to the real stuff with nary a drop of high fructose corn syrup in sight). I think the secret is the Cream of Wheat. If I'd thought ahead I would have taken some pictures. . .but they disappeared to quickly.

Anyway, I thought this time of year with its slow mornings and family togetherness would provide ample opportunity and necessity for multiple breakfast options. So I made up my own pancake mixes and boxed them up with the recipe! All the recipients have to do is add the liquid ingredients and toppings of their choice!

The hardest part was growing and harvesting the wheat. Then I just called the little red hen to see if he would help me . . . okay I'm kidding. I did grind my own wheat, but it literally took minutes to

fill each bag,




print up the recipe:

Whole Wheat Country Griddle Cakes
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Instant Cream of Wheat
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or regular milk with 1 added tbsp of vinager or lemon juice for each cup milk)
1 egg
1/4 cup oil (or applesauce or a mixture of both)

Preheat a skillet over medium heat, spray with non-stick spray.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until all ingredients are wet.
Pour the batter by 1/3 cup portions onto the hot pan and cook.

Makes 8-10 large pancakes. Delicious ones.


and put it all in a cute box (dollar-bins at Target!).



It's fast for the giver. And convenient for the recipient. It's a win-win.

And in case I don't make it to your house - consider this my gift to you. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment