Wednesday, October 29, 2008

going bananas!


So I was at the commissary the other day. We were woefully short on bananas. As I approached the banana stand I was sad to see that all the bananas were Christmas green. You know the ones I am talking about, they don't even stand a chance of ripening well. Upon further inspection I saw 2 suspicious looking paper bags also on the stand. "Hmm", I thought, "what is that?" Then I saw they were full of bananas, of the yellow variety. And there were A LOT of them. I was surprised that some of them even still had a little green on the stem. AND, they were only $2.00 for the entire bag. "WHAT??!" The green ones were .54/lb. I sat there scratching my head for several minutes wondering if it was worth the savings to take home THAT many bananas.

Here are some of the things that went through my head as I contemplated bringing them home:

  • how many fruitflies are going to invade my house?
  • will they go bad before I have time to use them?
  • do I have enough freezer space to accommodate all of these?
  • how many smoothies can I possibly eat?
  • do I really like banana bread THAT much?
  • (and follow up) do I need to buy chocolate chips?
  • can I lift this bag?
  • do I have a pet monkey?
  • isn't there some sort of pie with bananas and nilla wafers?
  • does someone I know have a pet monkey?
  • is there a way to make fabric out of banana peels with which to make reusable shopping bags?
As you can see my bargain loving side won out. I wish I had weighed the bag when I got home. This picture was taken after several had already been eaten. I'm now pawning bananas off to my in-laws, neighbors, and 2 kids. And if you know me, and live close to me, I hope you like banana bread!

Unless you have another idea - anyone have any to-die for banana recipes? Have you ever seen anything like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment