Wednesday, October 26, 2011

{amylouwho} my super secret bag making tip

As I said yesterday, I don't really do tutorials.  I'm deathly afraid of trying to explain something I do with the right words.  I could sit down with you and show you what to do - but to write it out? scary!! It's probably the other reason I haven't worked more on the pattern for my bag.

While I was working on this bag last week I thought I might share one of my favorite discoveries when making bags.  Fusible Thermolam. It's technically not fusible fleece, even though it feels a lot like it.  I think it's a little tighter weave or something.

I used sew-in fleece when I made my first several bags, what a pain! Then I decided to try fusible fleece! Much easier.  But I found when I fused it on some things it would pucker the fabric because it was shrinking with the iron's steam, so I started using it on the lining instead of the outer fabric.  Then one day I ended up with the Thermolam instead of the fleece and I'll never go back! (btw, this is not a sponsored review - I'm not saavy enough to get offered something like that! I just really like this stuff!)
pellon thermolam

Using the interfacing on the lining provides some stability to the fabric when inserting your snaps and also for the key hook.  And I love how it stands on it's own!  Another added bonus is that it's really lightweight, so your bag isn't heavy, but still keeps it's shape. It's also flexible enough that turning the bag isn't a huge chore.
nice and sturdy

Look how sad and schlumpy it is without the interfacing! 

bag without interfacing

Once you put the interfaced lining in, the bag perks right up!
Sara's bag

I also cut my interfacing pieces a seam allowance shorter all the way around so that the seams aren't so bulky.
from the inside

It is important to follow the directions for fusing. Because the thermolam is so thick, you should press it with the fabric side up (interfacing underneath), so the heat is getting to the fusible side, otherwise your interfacing won't stick or stay in place.

I hope this helps some of you bag makers or hopeful bag makers!  I love making bags, they are so quick and satisfying to finish.

What kinds of sewing tricks have you learned making bags? Or anything for that matter! Oh! And what is your experience with Decor Bond? Is it hard to turn the bag right side out?

No comments:

Post a Comment