Tuesday, April 23, 2013

throwback tuesday - serger edition

I know, it's usually Throwback Thursday but with all of the serger love I've been feeling from making the skirt from yesterday's post I thought I would bring back a post I wrote almost 4 years ago when I got my serger!  It's a bit of a fun story, I think!

*****
May 2009
Did you know you can turn this:

into one of these?


I have an old friend who I've recently reconnected with and she found out I was sewing again. She said to me one day, "Do you have a serger? I have one I hardly use and I was going to sell it on Craigslist. I will give it to you in exchange for a bag..." I didn't really have to think twice about that one. Now I just need to learn how to use it.


I mean really, did you know this fabric was THIS gorgeous? I didn't. And the more I work with it the more I want to plaster it on my walls. Which I found out you can do! But that's a story for another day.


When I finished it I told my friend I might need to just give her the serger back. I mean, c'mon!! She looks so pretty on my blue chair! It's okay though, I bought some more - maybe I'll make a little bolster for my chair.

*****
I remember her telling me she'd rather give it to me because she knew I would appreciate it and actually use it. And I have!!! Every time I make a new dress or skirt and serge up those frayed raw-edged gathered seams I get giddy.  It's true. I definitely think I got the better end of this deal!

Now I can't speak much on what sergers I recommend as I did zero research when I got this one - but Ido love it.  My recommendation is if you have one don't be afraid of it!  Learn how to thread it, read the manual and you should be all set!



No comments:

Post a Comment