Wednesday, June 15, 2011

the summer of no pants - i'm in!

Sara blogged about this summer of no pants thing a few weeks ago.  I already had it in my mind to make some easy breezy comfy skirts for the summer.  But once again, the fear of cutting into my fabric took hold and I couldn't bring myself to do it, worried that I might ruin the fabric and hate the skirt.  But then I finally decided even if the skirt wasn't just right, I loved the fabric enough to compensate.

And now that's it finished and I LOVE it, I wonder what took me so long!!
my new skirt, which I happen to be in love with.
thanks to my 5 yo for taking this picture.  :)

I ended up using this pattern that I bought a few weeks ago. 
some Joann's loot.

It doesn't look like anything exciting from the cover, but I've decided you have to just look at the lines and the construction and imagine it with better fabric.  This is how I address most pattern shopping lately.  In fact, my favorite thing to do is find patterns that are similar to things I already own and then adjust the pattern to match.

So for this skirt, I removed the bottom 2 tiers and adjusted the remaining 3 tiers to be the length I wanted.  My favorite thing? It has elastic in the waist so it's comfy and easy.  I just measured my hips to make sure the first tier was big enough.  I used my serger again to finish off the seams and it looks so great.  I love my serger!!

I've wanted to blog about it for a couple of weeks now. Part of the reason it took me so long is 1) I've been wearing it non-stop B) I had to figure out how to get a decent picture of it and lastly) I have lost my blogging mo-jo a bit.  Hoping to remedy that soon.

I also found this linen blend fabric at Joann's to make another skirt.
future skirt, which I hope I will also be in love with.

I just bought the batiste the other day for a lining. I've been toying with the idea of a different type of skirt, but the more I think about it, I love the drape of the first one so much, I think I'll just go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment